August 13, 2015
1. They’re Dog People – Seriously, it’s in their code of conduct. “Google’s affection for our canine friends is an integral facet of our corporate culture. We like cats, but we’re a dog company, so as a general rule we feel cats visiting our offices would be fairly stressed out.”
2. Google Doodle or “Out of Office Message” – The first doodle was of “Burning Man”, the icon for a crazy music festival the creators of Google were at for the day.
3. Pretty Powerful – They once had a 2 minute outage in August of 2013 and it caused internet page views to go down 40%
4. Founded in a Garage – Not just any garage, CEO of YouTube Susan Wojcicki’s garage. Sergey Brin and Larry Page came up with Google in 1998 in her garage. She eventually became a Google exec before her current position.
5. April Fools – A python was on the loose April 1, 2007 and since it happened to be the day of tricks, employees assumed it was a prank. IT wasn’t, in fact it was an employee’s escaped python that was eventually caught.
6. Definite Animal Lovers – They rent goats to graze on their lawn so they don’t have to use lawn mowers. Cute and eco-friendly.
7. 50 Shades of Yellow – Steve Jobs once called up Google to complain that the second “o” in Google’s logo wasn’t the right shade on his iPhone. Jobs was given the ok to fix it and it was corrected the following day.